Tuesday, January 2, 2007

GoogLife and Admitting Defeat

Today's photo is from Discovery News. I was amused. Here's the actual article that it goes with, but I feel the photo stands alone.

I downloaded Google Desktop today, mostly just to see what it was about. So far, I have made it quite festive. I have a Wikipedia search bar, a to-do list, BBC World News, Al-Jazeera News, Economist news (I'm trying to read the news for once, okay?), email and the weather. Google has gone on to suggest other things that I might like, however it seems to be in the same vein as Amazon.com suggestions. "Hey, I see you bought a video game for PS2 one time. Are you intersted in all the other PS2 games? How about the same game, but for Xbox?" Obviously, that needs some work. Google Toolbar has just been reccomending more news thingies, but I'm about saturated for news.

I feel like it won't be long until we start having GoogleLife--which will probably be abbreviated as GoogLife. "Welcome to the Future! Since the year 2010, Google has been cahceting your entire desktop and all your emails, not to mention your purchases with Froogle and directions with Google Maps. Since we track all your searches and what you watch with Google Desktop, you'll never have to do the searching again! Just open up your personalized Google homepage and GoogLife already knows what you're going to search for! Looking for the perfect recipe to impress your mother in law? We've already found it! Trying to find a great DVD for the family? We already found that too! So just install GoogLife now and allow us to take control!"

Okay, so it's a little far fetched, but that's what it makes me think of.

In an attempt to not be a lazy fuck, I've been trying to go to the gym more and since there is a gym in my apartment complex, there's really no excuse. I got up at 6:30 this morning to work out, which is really somewhat insane. Rather surprisingly, no one was there. All the other times I've gone to the gym that early (because I couldn't sleep all night, if you were wondering) there were all those wacky people who love getting up early to work out. I'm trying to be one of those people.

My Arabic placement exam was at 10. I fucking fail. I was almost late becuase I couldn't find the building (UW is a big place...). Let's say of Arabic information I should know at this point, I know about 2/3 of it. The 1/3 that I don't know what what the placement test consisted of. Damn it! I'll be lucky to even be taking intermediate next year. It's a problem. After my test, I decided to pick up my textbooks, so I went to the bookstore. I found everything easily, but it all cost $420. I've never had to spend so much on books. It was extremely painful. So yeah, it's been a rough morning.

School starts tomorrow, here's how my schedule goes:
Monday and Wednesday: 'sects and violence' 8-10:20 (sooo long), 'intro to phonetics' 10:30-12:20
Tuesday and Thursday: 'syntax' 10:30-12:20, 'dinosaurs' 1:30-2:20
Friday: 'sects and violence' quiz section (ftl) 8:30-9:20

this is the first time since I was 14 that I haven't had any language classes. It's kind of disgusting really...

As predicted, my grandma and mom are terribly upset about my blog relocation. My grandma doesn't know i have a new one, but my mom does and she was pissed that I wouldn't give the address. I don't see why this is such an issue. If I want to address myself to everyone on the internet but them, I think that's my business. Clever use of search engines could probably reveal my new blog anyway becuase I talk about weird shit, not that they would think of that, probably. It's just upsetting me that they're so worked up about it. Argh.

I need to do laundry and maybe buy groceries. I'll probably just end up drowning my sorrow in ps2 and one of those rasberry smirnoff things.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you should see the EPIC flash animation - it's quite old (in internet terms) but still very interesting.

    http://mccd.udc.es/orihuela/epic/

    ReplyDelete
  2. admittedly, I had seen this before and it made the idea of "google is taking over the world" a little stronger in my brain.

    ReplyDelete