Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Almost a Disaster


Today's photo is from Amazon. I don't understand why people need "stadium style nachos" at home, but there you have it. Where do people even put these things? I guess if you live in a big house you have space for weird nacho machine/holder things.

First day of school. Forgot my map and schedule. Got lost. Magically made it to both classes on time, but not before seriously considering giving up and hiding in a bathroom to cry over my failure. Sects and Violence is held in the college of forest studies building, so there are signs about recycling and Arbor Day all over. The professor seems a bit self-possessed, but I think if I do the reading, I should be fine. We watched a movie about the People's Temple cult, which I was fascinated by. The class is 2.5 hours long though, which is pretty harsh.

Phonetics went quite well. Our teacher is a really nice grad student who studies sociophonetics. I didn't know that was even a discipline, but if phonetics were to interest me, I think that would be the topic. We formed a little contingent of morphology-lovers at my table. We may start a war.

I am not sure why this article from the Christian Science Monitor presents such surprise that men and women are having friendships just as they would have friends within their own gender. I mean, I've been doing that for a while now and I don't think it's a big deal. Although I do think it's good that some schools are allowing men and women to room together now. Really it's their own choice and for people like me who can never seem to live with girls well, it would be much better.

1 comment:

  1. I had a dream similar to your adventures last night. I was trying to get to my first class at 9am next monday, but I foolishly had not checked my schedule before leaving. I was going all over campus trying to find a computer lab so that I could print out a copy of my schedule, but before I knew it, it was already 11am, and my class was long over. I tend to have similar dreams about final exams when finals week approaches.

    Did I ever tell you about the final that I missed when I misread a schedule and showed up at 7:30pm rather than 8am?

    I have found that among the 3 roommates I have had, the best one so far was a girl. Of course, that was only for about 1.5 months, so it's not the best sample size. I think one of the best qualities a roommate of any gender should have is spending copious amounts of time outside the room, especially entire nights and weekends.

    ReplyDelete