Friday, March 13, 2009

encore une fois

Today was my last day of class as an undergraduate. It was only one class and all we did was watch a movie, but still that's it. This morning I got on the bus and sat down and I almost started crying. I just feel really overwhelmed with being done with school and having to start Adult Life or whatever the hell one does. I feel like school is all I know how to do because it's really what you do for your whole life, to a certain point. I like the idea that I devote the bulk of my time to learning things, but now I'm going to have to do something that makes money (or enough money anyway) and learn things in my spare time. The thing that I'm not sad about is no longer have to center my study on required classes or doing things to get a grade, which, as we know, is much different than doing things to learn them.

Here are my current job potential things:
  1. an agent at Farmers Insurance. While this has the greatest potential for economic prosperity it also has the greatest potential for failure. I have my third interview on monday in which I will a) present a marketing strategy and b) give them money for my licensing classes/test. The only problem I see with this is generating enough clients to get going. It sounded like they were going to be more supportive so I'm feeling more reluctant than I was at first. After your test you have to sell 40 or so policies within 3 months before you become a full agent. At which point you get salary pay + commission for the first two years. I am concerned about the gap in between those two.
  2. I am still working on my Spanish medical interpreter certification. I sent in the form/money for the spoken test and I expect that will be in a month or two (hopefully two). The annoying this is that I'll have to drive down to Olympia for it. Ah well. The translation agency that I've been planning to work for is still willing to take me after I certify, so I have that going for me.
  3. About a year ago I put in an application for a contract linguist for the FBI. Yesterdy they decided to call me back. They left a message and we're playing phonetag, but I'm really curious to know what they want.
  4. I still don't know if I'll be doing the MLIS program. I won't hear til April and I'm not sure how (if at all) I'll be integrating that into a work schedule--hopefully it will be the online program though. I kind of wish I knew already so I could make a more informed decision.
I still have two finals to take (Persian and Andalusian lit), so school isn't totally over yet. My dad is going to be here in two weeks to bring up my car (trans am!). After finals week I know I'm taking at least two weeks of vacation. I asked for two weeks off work (because yes, I still work there for now) and even if I quit right away, my licensing exam isn't until mid April. In the meantime, I'm going to keep going with a lot of Spanish studying, hopefully work on Arabic too. I really want to start learning Hindi but I think i should probably wait.

Today in anecdotes:
On wednesday I was taking the bus for my interview and I spotted a dude carring a boquet of roses and a 12 pack of Coke (i almost wrote "12 pack of cock"--that would have been the more interesting story). I found this amusing so I guess I was looking at him for longer than one should look at people on the bus. So then he kept looking at me and looking at me and it was freaking me the fuck out. He was looking at me like he might want to say something, like he knew me maybe. I thought about if he looked like anyone I know, and the only person I could think of was the british guy I dated when I was 14 (classy but true). This of course seemed quite unlikely. In any case, when I got off the bus I ran away. Conclusion: I will be glad to have a car because I won't have strange people looking at me or talking to me--that happens too.

No comments:

Post a Comment