Sunday, June 1, 2008

A real blog entry

School for this year is nearly over. This week will be the last one and then I have 17 or so weeks of glorious vacation. Of course I'll be working 35 hours a week...that still counts as vacation in my opinion. I don't have any finals this quarter. Things left to do:
  • finish Arabic media chapter 1 & 2 review (due Weds)
  • write 2 page morphology paper on Arabic clitics
  • give Arabic presentation (Tues)
  • study for morph test (Weds)
I've been pretending that I'm already finished with school for the last few weeks, so that's not making this process any easier. I wish I were graduating this quarter, but I still have about 30 credits worth of in-major work to finish, plus I want to take 3rd year french. This last year of school will facilitate my transition to grad school really well. I'll be taking 3rd year french (in sha'allah) because French is my research language for a masters in Comparative NE studies. It's either that or German. And I also want to take a year of Farsi, which doubles as credits towards NELC electives and as my secondary NE language for my masters. This summer I'm planning to study persian on my own and i will theoretically test into second year, but we'll see how that goes.

I reactivated my facebook this week. I knew I would probably regret this decision (and Ian reminded me of this), but I did it anyway. I find facebook upsetting for a number of reasons, specifically, it serves as a ridiculous reminder that some people I once considered good friends don't want to talk to me anymore. One friend from high school emailed me a little while back and I responded saying that I was glad to hear from her and start talking to people again (because, to be fair, I fell off the planet for a while). She never wrote back. This sounds kind of petty and I can't really figure out where this feeling stems from, since I am fairly antisocial. I guess I just like to know that on some level, people still like me even if we don't talk a whole lot.

I've also started studying for the GRE, and I have to say that REA's study guide has proved the most useful. I started out with Kaplan, only to learn that it was about as useless as an umbrella in the sahara and just as condescending as Princeton review (which lead me to buy kaplan in the first place). The math is coming back to me fairly well, despite the fact that I haven't done any non-retail related math since AP calc. However, the retail math does actually help a lot in relation to the percentage problems. "I just sold a canvas print, that's a 5% bonus" or "I've sold $4900 in cameras and lenses this month and I'm at 6% service plans, how many more plans do I need to sell to hit my sales goals?"

In the meantime, enjoy a duck in the designated smoking area.

2 comments:

  1. Also, some friends from high school are married and pregnant and the SAME AGE as us. The atheists are going to have to step up the reproduction rate or we're going to die out, but I'm not going to lie: I'll be surprised if I'm so much as married in the next 5 years, let alone having a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lindsey, its been awhile! How are things? Some unsolicited comments on the GRE--- I found Barron's GRE book to be very useful also (I tried Princeton Review as well as REA, but did not like them as much). I have a list of vocab words the most frequently appear on the test if you would like me to send them to you. I found that a good number of them actually appeared on the test. Also, don't waste time studying for the writing section. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete