So, some anecdotes:
- I had one guy talking to me for a week or two, who has not talked to me since I told him he needed to chill out and slow down. I don't feel that committed to someone after talking to them for a week via the internet.
- In a similar trope, a guy who lives over 100 miles away was like "Hey, we should get together," and then when I pointed out that we lived kind of far he was like "I'll have to plan a weekend trip." We had been chatting for less than an hour. Slow down!
- The best conversation so far has been a message from a guy saying "I see you speak languages. I'm writing a novel with people speaking said languages. Can I ask you for translations?" Naturally, I replied that one typically charges for such service. He wrote me back to ask for my rates. I did not anticipate getting freelance translation jobs from OKCupid, but I'll take it.
- I have talked to a couple cool, sane-seeming people, as well, but the intense, potentially crazy people are definitely more assertive.
- Also, it's kind of awkward when someone is like "you're sexy and you have nice curves" when they've only seen a couple of pictures of you on the internet. I feel like that's not something you want to lead with, maybe save it for meeting in person.